Bum ba ba BUMMMM!!!

Do NOT use cell phones during match play!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Okay... So I finished my picks...

Soooooo I've got Brazil winning this thing over England in the final and so what? Let me break it down for you a little further.

The only reason Holland aren't in the finals is because they lose in the semis to Brazil - otherwise, with Arjen Robben fit - I don't think there's a better team in the tournament.

Except maybe, for Spain? Perennial underachievers, the Spanish won Euro 2008, but lost to the U.S. in 2009. (Confederations Cup semis.) For real, Spain is legitimate and the only reason I don't have them in the final, no to mention even winning it, is because I have Fabio Capello's Three Lions (England) defeating Spain in the semis, 2 - 1.

And where's Italy? Believe it or not, I don't have them past the round of 16, where they lose to the magnificent Samuel Eto'o and Cameroon. I just don't think the Azzurri (Italy) have it this time. I know, it's been said in past tournaments as well. (See Germany 2006.)

Finally, my beloved Argentina. How do they fall? England defeats them, in a glorious quarterfinal match that reflects Maradona's legacy - he's great on the field but otherwise you're afraid to admit he's your friend. Diego Maradona is not a manager. I could see him hiring some guy to advise him from behind the scenes while he absorbs the media spotlight.

But damn I wish I was wrong.

Messi, do it. Prove me wrong.

No one else is allowed to though so BACK OFF!

Cheers... Enjoy the cup!!!!! (I'd be blowing my vuvuzela now if I had one...)

4 comments:

  1. Hey - how about some real predicitons? How many yellow cards are going to be issued? Who will be the first player to be red-carded? Who will get thrown in jail during the world cup? Who will be afraid to go home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uruguay's defense was fantastic. Great game against France today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ridiculous defense....
    and believe it or not Joe someone was already sent off today, sliding in cleats up into the ankle of Sagno, the French right back. (Also plays for Arsenal.)

    As for big names that are going to be sent off, I'll give you three:

    Franck Ribery of France (already has a yellow card and a gangster-looking scar on his face)

    Genarro Gattuso of Italy - he's nicknamed the little Bulldog and he DOES NOT CARE about who he has to go through to get the ball

    Bastian Schweinsteiger of Germany - good player, also kind of a jerk on the field

    of course, Wayne Rooney of England - the guy will not shut up at the refs. He plays hard and pretty much always looks angry- unless he's smiling goodnaturedly - which means you really gotta watch out. Would not want to meet this bloke in the dark alley outside the pub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be worried to meet Rooney in the Pub.

    ReplyDelete